Benedict de Spinoza

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Complete Elwes trans. of Text Now Avaliable

Please pass the word that we will all be on the same page.  That is, the Elwes trans. of TEI.  I have added a link on the blog page which will take you to the free Project Gutenberg site's rendition of "The Improvement," complete with very useful paragraph and sentence numbers for reference.

Download the treatise and put it in a binder. It is about 44 pages in my Dover edition, so, not a long piece.  I believe there will be room to the side of each page for any notes you may wish to make.

I want to be sure everyone gets prepared before we start as a group.  Those who are already set to go may reflect on Spinoza's remarks which have already been posted.  I think the first sentence is very challenging, for example.  Do we feel so sure that experiences of the kind ordinarily portrayed as the means to happiness are vain and futile?  What does Spinoza mean by a "true good, with the power to communicate itself?"  It sounds like he is talking about something we may definitely come to know.

We need to have a quorum of say 10-12 individuals to get this started.  I don't think that should be too difficult, as I am counting on most, if not all, of the Biosophers and those who participate on the Creative Conversations to take part, etc.  We will try to move at a pace that is comfortable for most, which we can gauge during our phone talks.  This is a good opportunity to get a toehold on this Master's ideas.

I hope the storm wasn't quite as devastating as was feared by some, as I know we have many friends in the area affected.

Namaste, d.

4 comments:

  1. Will that discussion happen here on this blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of it will, yes. I have commentary which will be offered here to go with the text. Time permitting, I may be able to enter into some discussion here, but it's a good deal of time just writing the commentary. Please join the venture and we'll see what works out. I know there are conference call services. I would greatly prefer real time talk for discussion, although I may be able to answer some basic questions in writing.

      Delete
  2. To quickly find a particular section in Spinoza's work, I have been using http://home.earthlink.net/~tneff/

    IS the actual text different on this site?

    when you write" Download the treatise and put it in a binder." I guess that means download, PRINT, and put in a binder, is that what you mean?

    Joan of the biosophers (my google name is joan of earth)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd replied to this already but I don't see it. Regarding your first question, I don't know. Regarding your second question, yes, of course Joan.

      Delete