Benedict de Spinoza

Friday, February 15, 2013

TEI The First 3 Paragraphs with Commentary


I am looking chiefly for the particular actions Spinoza
suggests to his readers. so I may go too quickly for some through
some parts. On the other hand, I may accede to the desire to
ponder and savor this or that sentence along the way in this banquet
for the soul. But, a main theme, in addition to ferreting out the clear
instructions Spinoza is offering, I will also be discovering whether the
text itself can give us clues as to why the work was left
languishing, incomplete…Is there some insoluble main problem 
which Spinoza had not yet been able to conceive in such a way
that he could sensibly write it down?  I think so, but we will get to
that later.

Let's look at the first 3 Paragraphs in TEI.  Please read the material slowly
and make notes of of any sentences or ideas you don't understand.
If you would like to join a conference call to discuss the study, send
me an email.  I have read these paragraphs many times, and never
fail to feel vivified, and I will usually ponder anew to discover what
fears are ruling parts of my life, etc.

==========
[1] (1) After experience had taught me that all the usual
surroundings of social life are vain and futile; seeing that none
of the objects of my fears contained in themselves anything either
good or bad, except in so far as the mind is affected by them,
I finally resolved to inquire whether there might be some real
good having power to communicate itself, which would affect the
mind singly, to the exclusion of all else: whether, in fact, there
might be anything of which the discovery and attainment would
enable me to enjoy continuous, supreme, and unending happiness.
==========
I sometimes wonder if many students of the Ethics (especially those
focussed on the ontological aspects) are able to bear in mind that
Spinoza's aim was to rejoice inwardly. From the gate here, he is
talking about fear and joy, etc. He doesn't say that his aim was to
propose a solution to the "mind-body" problem, as such, although
he does accomplish this in Ethics.  Many are unable to see that. If he
sounds to anyone here at the outset of his treatise as if he is
concerned chiefly with abstractions of philosophical speculation (I
don't say he is never concerned at all), then I can only say that our
readings are very different.  Spinoza wants to discover the great joys
in life: conceiving "the true idea" is both the means and the end.

Implicit here perhaps is the imprimatur that, if we have not learned
to a large degree about the "futility and vanity," concerning the ordinary
pursuits people give their efforts to, leaving little time and energy for the
fundamental inquiries, then we may lack acertain prerequisite for giving
 our hearts and minds to those inquirieswith sufficient desire. Everything 
about the manner in which Spinoza described the object of his inquiry is 
profound and highly specific,worthy of considering every phrase and word.
So, here in this study, little by little, we have the opportunity of really en-
hancing our understanding of this consummate spiritual master who also
happens to be one of the chief architects of "The Enlightenment" which
profoundly altered the trajectory of the octave of Western history.
==========
[2] (1) I say "I finally resolved," for at first sight it seemed
unwise willingly to lose hold on what was sure for the sake of
something then uncertain. (2) I could see the benefits which are
acquired through fame and riches, and that I should be obliged to
abandon the quest of such objects, if I seriously devoted myself
to the search for something different and new. (3) I perceived
that if true happiness chanced to be placed in the former I should
necessarily miss it; while if, on the other hand, it were not so
placed, and I gave them my whole attention, I should equally fail.

[3] (1) I therefore debated whether it would not be possible to
arrive at the new principle, or at any rate at a certainty
concerning its existence, without changing the conduct and usual
plan of my life; with this end in view I made many efforts,
in vain. (2) For the ordinary surroundings of life which are
esteemed by men (as their actions testify) to be the highest
good, may be classed under the three heads - Riches, Fame, and
the Pleasures of Sense: with these three the mind is so absorbed
that it has little power to reflect on any different good.
==========
Spinoza seems to say he had to make some changes in his lifestyle. I
don't know all the particulars he means, although he could be referring
to his transition out of the Jewish community, etc. Has anyone studied 
the life of Spinoza so as to add some comments here?  Are my own
surroundings and my daily routines so engrossing , am I so habituated
to a routine, mechanical existence, perhaps as a barrier to keep doubt
and wonder away, that I have no hopeof devoting myself to such an inquiry? 
After all, Spinoza says that we must direct all of our thoughts and actions to 
the end of attaining to a certain character. Notably, Gurdjieff advised his
students to just begin observing themselves in their present circumstances rather
than trying to change behaviors or suppress emotions.  That is the way I began
in this work.  As the sorcerer Don Juan Matus said truly, the aim of the man of
knowledge is only "to see."  Krishnamurti called it "choiceless awareness."
Can I quietly observe the mind as if merely gazing at the surface of a passing river?

-DR

3 comments:

  1. It was the reading of these first paragraphs of this work by Spinoza that led me to work with Gregory, oh so many years ago. They also state, for me, that Spinoza is indicating the first steps along his inner path. If you want to achieve such a sense of an inner state that has the characteristics of a "continuous, supreme, and unending happiness" then one must change their life. You cannot serve two masters.
    Even Gurdjieff, and certainly Don Juan indicate that as "some point" one must choose. Do you want to pursue a regular externally driven life, or are you willing to launch your craft unto a course uncertain.
    We do know where the one leads, we can observe it around us, but, the examples of the second path to which Spinoza points, are few and rare. Fewer still if we look around at our friends and family.
    I believe he is laying down a challenge. It will be curious to study this material as a guide book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was outside the kindergarten class at Sunday School. Class was out and I'm 5 years old looking for my Mom to come get me. My attention is caught by the graceful gait of a girl perhaps 2 years older. She's on crutches, missing a leg. Later I hear she lost it to cancer. Later i hear she died of cancer soon after. That was the worm of awakening that began to gnaw inside--questioning authority. Rebellion followed, climaxing in a near death experience being gunned down just off campus in Berkeley as a 17 year old freshman. I was fresh alright. At 19, life was destroyed mercilessly and completely as the vision was clear. Since then, the twisted path of one with a secret that can't be shared. The efforts continue, with your help.

      Delete
  2. Dear readers,
    One individual who is following this study closely posed some very astute and urgent questions to me during a phone conversation concerning what "dbf" rightly calls "a challenge" here. A challenge may be defined, for our purposes as "an invitation to a higher place." I urged my friend to stick around as the treatise study unfolds. We will find that Spinoza realized that many of the pleasures and other factors which may act as hindrances when pursued as ends in themselves may serve us well for our happiness if they take their place as aids to our work. An obvious example would be food. Clearly, this is a necessity and we ought to enjoy it insofar as it benefits our whole person. If the palate alone, or psychological factors drive us to satiation, then we need to observe this as a buffer against inner confusions that the mind experiences as pain. I promise that more will be revealed about this, but Spinoza is not advocating an ascetic lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete